Called to Your Workplace

Called-to-Your-Workplace.jpg

“Nevertheless, each person should live as a believer in whatever situation the Lord has assigned to them, just as God has called them.” (I Corinthians 7:17)

Our work and vocations are the primary focus where we expend our time and energy.  They are also the platforms that shape the 7 Mountains of society. It’s no surprise then that these areas are where God’s purpose and plan will come to pass for our lives, our communities, and our nations.  Our work can become Kingdom Influence in the 7 Mountains!

A vocation (Latin: vocātiō “a call, summons”) is an occupation to which a person is specially drawn or for which she/he is suited, trained, or qualified.

Each vocation falls somewhere within the 7 Mountains, the seven areas of society that shape our culture: Business, Entertainment, Education, Government, Media, Church and Family.

A career, vocation or job is the place from which Christians can transform their world for God’s glory.  The largest need of service to the Lord is not in traditional ministry.  In fact, local Church leadership makes up only 2% of Christians. The rest are politicians, educators, entrepreneurs, scientists and more. Church leaders alone cannot fulfill God’s purpose for our generation.  Instead, they empower the other 98% of Christians to impact their sphere of influence with God’s Kingdom.

Kingdom Influencers are Christians who use their area of work and influence to establish God’s Kingdom.  “Kingdom” refers to the establishment of God’s rule in the earth. “Influencer” is one who brings transformational impact in the workplace and community. Kingdom Influencers are vital to transforming the 7 Mountains into God’s Kingdom!

As Kingdom Influencers, our desk, workbench, operating room, courthouse, or platform is anointed by God to transform our communities. Unfortunately, Christians have not always understood their call, or how their vocation fits into God’s plan for mankind and for their generation.  Churches have not always had provision for people who devote their time and effort to their profession.  But that is changing! The Church is reinforcing that God appoints Christian business people, politicians, educators, entertainers and artists, scientists and doctors, and societal leaders to go into the world and make disciples of all nations, to permeate the culture with Godly principles, causing their sphere of influence to reflect God’s Kingdom.

The idea of work, vocation and career comes from God. Genesis tells us that Adam worked and kept the garden before the fall.  One of the first things God had Adam do in the garden was to keep it and guard it.  God chose and authorized Adam to rule over the earth with authority, protecting it, brining order, and causing it to prosper. The definition of the word “work” found in Genesis translates “ministry or service.”  Adam’s work to oversee the Garden was a ministry ordained by God.  Similarly, Christians today are chosen and authorized by God to keep, oversee, protect, bring order, and cause prosperity in all the 7 Mountains!

YOUR WORK IS ANOINTED:

  • Your work provides the opportunity to demonstrate Christ – I Thes. 4:11-12.

  • Your work glorifies God – I Cor. 10:31.

  • Your work prepares you to rule and reign with Christ in eternity – Rev. 5:10.

  • Your work can be used by God to help transform a nation into a “sheep” nation.

  • Your work keeps or tends to one or more of the 7 Mountains.

  • Your work is how God can establish His Kingdom on earth as it is in Heaven.

BIBLICAL EXAMPLES GOD’S PEOPLE USING THEIR VOCATION TO IMPACT THEIR WORLD

  • Joseph excelled in every job or situation regardless of the circumstances. As Joseph applied Godly principles to his work, he was promoted until he was the second in command of all of Egypt.  As a result, he delivered the nation of Israel out of famine and destruction.

  • Daniel followed the principles of God uncompromisingly. He was recognized as the wisest of all counselors of the greatest king on the earth at that time. In Daniel 6:3 it says he distinguished himself above the other governors because an excellent spirit was in him, and the king gave thought to setting him over the whole realm.

  • Jesus the Carpenter, Peter the fisherman, Luke the doctor, and Paul the tentmaker were all professionals who were skilled craftsmen and workers. The apostles were also all business people.

Succeeding in your workplace while operating under Biblical principles to effect transformation around you is a concept we refer to as a “7 Mountain Kingdom Influencer.” Today you are joining Christian International and equipping to become a successful “Kingdom Influencer” in your mountain of society!